Why Microcontent Matters!
Today’s content marketing strategies are multi-lingual: they speak in many different mediums. Long form content remains important, visual content is gaining ground rapidly and microcontent is fast claiming a place at the table. Microcontent? What the heck is that?
Microcontent can be explained as a bite-sized content blurb, aimed typically at one specific topic and limited in scope. A major factor in the growth of microcontent is the global shift to mobile devices. Nobody is eager to tackle large blocks of text on a phone, as it’s too difficult to do. Mobile content is shorter, to the point, and very often visual, or at least has a visual component. And with predictions of 80 percent of traffic from mobile devices in the next few years, it’s time for you to get a handle on how to access that audience!
Here’s some tips to use microcontent in your business!
- One way you might already be using microcontent is to post a status update on Facebook leading back to your blog.
- Make an image or meme which includes a quote from your post and post it to the photo sharing sites like Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr.
- Use Vine or Instagram to make a short (in the case of Vine; 6 seconds!) pithy video and direct viewers to your page.
- Create copy that readers can easily retweet!
- Incorporate calls to action in your microcontent. Click here to learn more, etc.
- Curating bits of content that your readers will find useful from other sites can do many things for you. It helps establish your authority, satisfies your audience, and is quite simple to accomplish.
Be consistent in your microcontent strategy. A frequent digest of tips and tricks for your market is something that can get shared far and wide. Make copious use of images and videos; because it’s what people want to see, especially in the short form!
Above all make it sharable, and multiply the reach of your content many times over!